Monday, January 25, 2016

Review: 2XU Hyoptik Mid-Rise Thermal Compression Tights

Disclaimer: I received a pair of 2XU HYOPTIK Mid-Rise Thermal Compression Tights to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews! 

A few weeks back, I was given the opportunity to check out 2XU's thermal compression tights. Now, bear in mind that I live in Southern California so "cold" is all relative, BUT we've had enough cold days that I feel like I can provide a general statement to how thermal these thermal leggings are. I know tons of my fellow ambassadors who live in legit cold (re: back east) have been wearing these as base layers and are raving about how warm they are. 


Stand out, get noticed, and stay warm. HYOPTIK reflective logos help you stay visible when training in low light conditions.

These tights are my first 2XU product and when I first got them, I was expecting them to be a little bulky, given the "thermal" concept, but they're actually quite lightweight, thinner than I'd expected, but soft and almost silky. They have a great feel and despite their thinness, are quite warm! It's magic... or science... or both. 

A soft brushed thermal inner layer helps retain warmth in cold climates. With coverage over the knee, powerful compression support and protect upper leg muscles to help prevent soreness and fatigue and long term overuse injuries. HYPOTIK THERMAL Compression helps you battle the cold and dark for outdoor training in winter.

Now again, my "winter" is all relative, but I had a few chances to take them out for some runs to see these thermal and compression layers for myself. 

Never mind that clear blue sky, it was COLD!
My only struggle with these tights is that they are seemingly tight. I know, I know, compression y'all, but for a girl who regularly fits a medium easily, I struggled (picture me wrestling myself on the floor) with getting these on the first few times. They are tight. I can't recommend sizing up, however, as that may compromise the compression effect that they are supposed (and do) to provide. Compression is great for blood flow, warming up your muscles faster, and muscle recovery, so I wouldn't want you to get a pair too tight that that effect is lessened. But fair warning, you might struggle a little bit until you get that 'fit' after a few wears. 


I also wore them to pace the San Diego Holiday Half (it was a mightly blustery day in San Diego, promise!). They're great for long runs (again, especially with the compression feature) or long runs, as I've discovered and then you're not fighting with short lines riding up every few miles. They were comfortable, soft, and caused no issues whatsoever. 

These babies aren't cheap, however, so if you're investing in a pair of tights, do your research! The 3/4 length tights are $99.99 and the full-length are $139.99. I probably wouldn't buy these for myself - again, I'm missing that whole real 'winter' concept - but if you're in legit winter-burdened cold-climate areas, these may totally be worth the investment for you! I've only had them a few weeks now, so I can't speak to durability or material integrity, but for what I have experienced, they're worth the dime to keep you warm!

You can check out a few Pros' other reviews too:
Jessica - Fun Size Athlete
Heather - Heather Runs 13.1
Mark - Daddy Did You Win
Abbie - Miles of Abbie
Jen - Jen Runs Fast

Don't forget about the 2XU sponsored #BibChat at 8 PM CST on January 26!



No comments:

Post a Comment