Thursday, November 27, 2014

I Am Thankful


I can't lie. It's been a hard year - heck, it's been a hard last half of the year, at that. The first half was actually pretty amazing, between running, trips to Florida for fun and San Diego for work, weddings, and all kinds of other randomness! And then the second half happened. But despite the difficulties the year has shoved my way, I have a lot to look at today and realize that I have it pretty okay - and I do, in fact, have a lot to be thankful for this year.

Beyond having the basic needs met - I have a place to live, I'm fed and cared for, and despite being job-less, I still have a lot more than a lot of people have, and for that, I am so very lucky.

My family is always first and foremost. With the year we've had, I think we've pulled together better than ever. Our family cruise in April was beyond wonderful and despite saying goodbye to Papa and all the difficulty that has brought since, we're still together. Small and mighty (there are only 6 of us!), but we've got it good.

Family pre-cruise shenanigans.
Beyond just my family, my parents get an extra bit of love this year on their own. They've given me the opportunity to move home before, when I left  my job in Texas and before I got the job in Georgia. But here, having been laid off on that Friday, had my last day on Monday, and I was moved home to open and welcoming arms by Tuesday afternoon. Sure, parents can do this for their kids, but they certainly don't have to, and I am so beyond grateful my parents allowed me (and Molly!) to come back home while life sorted itself out for us. Thank you, mom and dad, for being so loving and willing to let your 29-year-old come back home and figure this mess out. If I knew any way to thank you for all you've done for me, I'd do it in a heartbeat... but this is all I've got for now! <3

Doug - my love. We had a pretty exciting year - not just as I've been back in California for over a year now, but finally got ourselves some trips and adventures to Florida, San Francisco and San Diego for a long weekend away. Between all the fun though, there were some messes, and as much as I know losing my job has impacted us and how we work (not always for the best), he's been the most supportive person out there. He gives me pep talks when I need them,  gets me to stop self-bashing on the rough days, and is my biggest cheerleader. I'm so thankful for this past year, am excited for more, and know there's better stuff coming our way. Thanks, babe, for all you've done for me, especially as we get through this... it'll end soon!

Epcot, March. 
Running, especially as it relates to unemployment, has been my sanity, my escape, my focus for the last five months. I'm thankful, grateful, happy that I'm healthy enough to maintain 100-mile months since August, that I've been able to keep up with my goals and plans, and follow through with my fitness commitments. I'm healthy, taking care of myself physically... and mentally, as much as possible.
Ready to rock! Rock 'n Roll LA, 2014.
I'm blessed with some of the best friends anywhere. My bestest friends are a little bit of everywhere - my sister in New York, San Francisco, Phoenix. Though we're usually hours apart, I know I've got them all at a phone call away, whether I need to cry (again) about job searching (again) or need a good laugh. But beyond them, I'm super thankful I've started establishing my own community here in LA, mostly via the NYR crew and/or the IERC and/or other running people in other circles. I'm thankful that I have some folks to rely on around here and that they're my growing running family too!
Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas, 2013.
This year, there are only 5 of us in my family that would have come together (originally at Mimi's Cafe), but Doug's family invited us over to join their feast! I am so excited, and nervous, as it's the first time our families have done any sort of holiday thing together! Excitement! Have a great, great, day friends - eat up and be thankful!



What are you thankful for? How are you spending your Thanksgiving? I hope it is amazing!



No comments:

Post a Comment