Monday, December 12, 2011

#reverbbroads11: I Was a Book Nerd

I'm participating in #ReverbBroads11, a month of blog prompts promised to be silly and reflective. .. The December 9 prompt: What was your favorite children's book?

I honestly spent most of the weekend thinking about this one -- and unless I went as far as calling my mom or grandma, I'm not sure how to answer this. I'm not sure that I had a favorite, or that there was one book that was always cracked open. I do know, however, that whenever I had the opportunity, I had my nose in a book.

My mom used to tell me that I was the little girl in kindergarten who, instead of playing "house" with the rest of the seemingly normal 5-year-old girls, I was in the corner with my nose in a book instead. I remember that nearly every time my sister and I would go spend the weekend at my grandparents' house, we'd go down the street to one of the two Super Crown Books (you know, when it was still a legit bookstore) near them and, sometimes, could literally spend hours in the children's/teens book corner. There was one time, in fact, we (sister, grandparents and I) went in sometime in the middle of the afternoon and came out after dark, blissfully unaware that we had skipped dinnertime and probably spent upwards of 4 hours in that store on Lake in Pasadena. Bliss!

I don't know when I stopped reading like I used to. Somewhere in the hustle and bustle of high school mandatory readings, newspaper articles, and soccer games, I lost that drive. I still like reading, sure, but it's magazines and "easy reads," not like I used to. 


Not me. :)
 So, actually, thank you, #reverbbroads11, for encouragement towards one of my New Year's resolutions. You'll have to wait a few weeks to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment