Friday, March 28, 2014

The Great Tutu Debate


 Like many, I got pretty fired up at the distasteful BS Meter column SELF released in its April issue. The brief blurb mentions that tutus have become a ridiculous fad, stating that "A racing tutu epidemic has struck NYC's Central Park, and it's all because people think these froufrou skirts make you run faster. Now, if oyu told us they made people run away from you faster, maybe we would believe it."

I'm sorry, WHAT? First, yes, I would say the prominent issue is that they had no idea they pulled cancer warrior Monika's photo (let's go back to my journalism days where you're supposed to know your sources and where they come from, shall we?) but TWO: let's look at SELF's motto:

Being fit, strong and active means feeling great, being happy and looking your most beautiful. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that for a lot of us, feeling great is embracing the quirky, fun-loving, goofy side, especially while we're working on our fitness! Who says a tutu is not a necessary running accessory, just like your Garmin is?

I asked a few of the Sweat Pink lovely ladies to share their favorite races or memories of races in a tutu and their thoughts on what that meant - was it empowering? Did it help remind you that running is supposed to be fun, and sometimes silly? 
{ blog }

{ blog }


{ blog }

{ blog }
{ no longer blogs, but is still bad ass }
I've got more thoughts, but mostly on my own personal reactions to attire I see at races too - and realizing that though not to the degree that SELF promoted via this BS Meter, that I'm almost just as guilty. I've got an attitude check to do too!

What are your thoughts? Is racing/running/fitness in a tutu a totally silly fad? Or do you rock that tutu with pride?


4 comments:

  1. I think tutus are a silly fad. THAT SAID...

    Running is not what most folks would call an objectively "pretty" sport. Take a look at some of the finisher's photos of elite runners--sure *we'd* call it awesome, but a lot of non-runners would not exactly become overnight converts. You don't get into running to amass runway-caliber candid shots. So whatever people want to wear, however they want to look while running, whatever little traditions they sport that may give them good vibes, I really don't care. Running is intensely personal in a lot of ways, and those little quirks make all the difference from one person to the next.

    Also, using a woman who survived cancer as the poster child for knocking on something as superficial as tutus is pretty childish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your response is spot-on. I agree, they're a fad of sorts. Kind of like crazy leggings, or whatever the pop culture quote of the month is. But I love how you said that yes, running is often a super personal story and their clothing choices certainly add to that. Great point!

      Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete
  2. WHaqt I think is so crappy is that no one should ever put down anyone for getting out there and workin it. OR training. Or fighting a disease. Or doing what they love. Runners don't tear each other down. We support an cheer each other!!! What a great article Megan. So many of us LOVE to have fun or be fun or wear something awesome. I sometimes run in a shirt and capris too...but nothing beats the sass of a run skirt for me. Heck...watch for me in Ragnar...my skirts coordinate with my team uniform. All 12 of us gals have skirts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - who cares what you wear? You're going out and doing it!

      Looking forward to finding you at Ragnar! :)

      Delete